Friday, April 1, 2011

A Trip Down the California Coast

 Somehow, when it comes to travelling with my parents
and comparing trips they take with my sisters,
I seem to get the more 'rugged'of accommodations and itineraries.
This past weekend's trip down the California coast lived up to tradition.
Friday was bliss.
The rain held out and I proudly showed my city off to my parents.
A drive through Pacific Heights, a stop at Bi-Rite Creamery,
a walk through the Marin Headlands.
It was an unrushed and relaxed day of strolling about,
breathing in the fresh, pepperminty air of the west.
Later that day, we took our weekend to the road.
The truth is, we didn't have Mother Nature on our side for much of it.
There was a bitter wind that slapped rain across our faces for most of Saturday.
And the road to Big Sur has alas, sunken into the ocean.
That wasn't favorable.
We made the most of the day by exploring Monterey and Carmel by the Sea.
And by Sunday, the clouds parted ways and the sun came out in all it's glory.
We did 17 mile drive through Pebble Beach,
spending the entire day beach combing and treasure hunting.
We spotted the happiest of seals, the smallest of seaglass,
and the brightest full arch rainbow.
My dad treated us to a most special of meals,
right on the golf course overlooking the Pacific.
I wouldn't have traded any part of the weekend. 
I know I am a really lucky daughter.
I have these incredibly special memories with my parents,
and a relationship with them that few people have.
An old friend from high school said it best:
"Isn't living in California a joy and an adventure everyday?"
The answer is yes.
xo










1 comment:

  1. I think it's the other way round...............the parent's are the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete