Sunday, December 11, 2011

Living in a Snow Globe

Last week, I had declared that standing at the top of Lyon Street Stairs,
and peering out over this beautiful city, all lit up and stretching to the bay,
was equivalent to looking into a snow globe. 
All the city lights twinkled below me as I stood atop of the city,
steadying my breath and seeing it's condensation mix with the cold air of the night. 
I have started on a new workout routine,
which is proving to condition my spirit as much as it is the body.
It is as much a mental challenge as it is physical.
Last week, after my session ended, 
I opted to walk home in the cool, dark of the night.
image unknown
It was a slower stroll, as I walked down from what felt like my perch  on the top of the city. 
Walking the city at night is one of my simplest and purest pleasures.
It is so peaceful, my walk of silent solitude. 
I steal glimpses into windows,
exchange smiles with  dog owners out on a brisk evening stroll. 
There is a softer glow cast onto the sidewalks in the evening.
It's well after dinner, but not quite time for slumber,
and the type of light softly spilling out from windows and into the street
reflects this phase of the night.
Everyone is settled into their places, calm and rested.
And I realize, it still feels like a snow globe, even on street level.
 as the swirls of snow and glitter come to stop, so does the frenzy of the day.
Happy snow globing, friends.
xo

 






No comments:

Post a Comment